NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/05/19 12:19 PM
Re: Marlin-1895 -- CAPE BUFFALO HUNTER

In the time of these idiotic debates on Arab Reloading there was once a raffle for a safari where someone was donating a safari or something for a cap buffalo. On the proviso the winner had to use a Marlin .45/70 to "prove it could be done" or some such bullshit. Armchair warrior stuff.

I thought I would do it for a free hunt so entered. I planned to load up the awful tubular magazine with a single 450 Barnes X round and another in the chamber. And push them as fast as sensible. Rather than use those BS Garrett lead bullets pushed as "slow as possible".

Yes Daryl, the .45/70 in a Siamese Mauser is far better than the lever action it is designed for. But why not chamber the Siamese for a better cartridge?

I think the .45/70 is designed for lever actions and single shots. A good medium game close action bush rifle. I have not hunted them, but bear and moose (I have hunted).

Its like saying the 9.3x74R is a good choice for dangerous game. Sure it will kill them and is useful as well. Better than a .45/70 actually IMO. I have taken maybe 13 water buffalo with the 9.3x74R.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com