NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/04/19 08:39 PM
Re: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag.

Quote:

John I did a lot of hunting with a Valmet Hunter in 308, 2 mates with BAR's, my brother and another mate used Mini 14's, quite a few I knew ran AR15's in competitions. I did have an M1 carbine and found that to be almost useless the SKK was far better than an M1 carbine but only good for close work as the sights and group sizes were not for hunting. The downside was the Rambo types who gave most shooters a bad name. Yes I would like them back, but as you said, here in Australia I think it is a pipe dream.

As for hiding in a damp bush hut that makes two of us.

Of course I would have had a BAR instead of a BLR had it been possible. The BLR was second hand at the time after 1996 and reasonably priced so snapped it up.

The Valmet Hunter I liked from the reviews.

I believe the AR15 type rifle back then was well out of my price range. And not very common at all.

The SKK was dirt cheap. Every man and his dog and badass nutter was buying them at the time. Ammo was cheap too. Inevitable there would be moves to ban them in hindsight. Many old fogie shooters at the time warned about this back then too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com