Ripp
(.577 member)
13/03/19 01:34 PM
Re: The 280AI--growing in popularity..by Ron Spoomer

I started using the 280Rem about 25 years ago..for medium size game, primarily black bear, mule deer, occasional pronghorn, etc... switched to the 280AI in about 2008-9--have used it ever since on almost every high elevation hunt I have been on..shooting Nosler factory loads mostly, with the 140gr Accubonds being the load of choice.

My rifle in this caliber is also a Lex Webernick as the author of this story mentions.. it shoots factory Nosler ammo into around 1/2" groups at 100yrds all day long..so why reload when it's only for hunting... have shot quite a few Ibex with it now, Tur, Big Horn Sheep, mule deer and an occasional pronghorn.. at distances from 30 yards to slightly over 600..have never shot any of the animals more than once..

With scope, sling, etc. the entire package is less than 6.5lbs.. great for packing around when hunting in 12-16,000 ft elevations..

It really is a great combo for high elevation.. when handloading I am getting about 150fps more than I was with the standard 280Rem..basically it shoots the 140gr bullets at the same velocity as a 7mm Rem Mag does with 150gr bullets..factory is also around 100-150 fps more..and my findings, it really is very accurate.

I have an older Rem in 280Rem. mountain rifle.. wood stock, blued barrel..lightweight..has never shot that great..one of my upcoming projects will be to rebarrel to 280AI, put a lightweight non-wood stock on it and a trigger job..will be a great mtn rifle for one of my kids..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com