DORLEAC
(.333 member)
04/02/19 08:14 PM
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering?

Gentlemen,

I think this type of discussion about the comparative merits of BLASER rifles versus classic ones does not lead to anything.
We compare quite different objects, a bit like comparing a jacket to shoes or a roast beef to an apple pie!
BLASER R93 and R8 rifles are tools and should be considered as tools.
This type of rifle is the brainchild of the engineer Meinhard ZEH who developed the system in 1993.
In their excellent design there is no reference to the traditional gunsmithing and their manufacture - with the exception of the barrel - is closer to that of a microwave oven or any other modern household object than a Mauser rifle whose mechanism dates back to well over a century.
The used materials - aluminum, synthetic, rubber, cast steel - like the assembly - springs, screws, elastic pins - confirm the modernity of their design optimized for the lowest possible manufacturing cost
That said, they are very good tools perfectly adapted to their use but, in my eyes, they are not rifles in the traditional sense of the term.
The only problem with these products is their price that is twice as high compared to their real cost, products whose life, because of the materials used, is necessarily limited in time.
We sold the first R93 twenty years ago and now we are facing irreparable wear problems (steel sliding in aluminum) and the only solution proposed by BLASER is to go to the new R8 model….
The R93, provided you choose it in a standard caliber, was a much better proposition than the R8 which is bigger, heavier and which allows you to lose the trigger when you drop the magazine (!)
Finally I don't believe that in a few years fans will be passionate about collecting R8 variants, even the rarest plastic with leather inserts stocked versions or "Luxus" models with molded aluminum laser engraving...
Some will tell me that they are the best rifles now on the market… everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but I sincerely believe that the current offer leaves enough choice at reasonable prices for at least equal or better performances.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Contact Us NitroExpress.com