DarylS
(.700 member)
03/02/19 12:58 PM
Re: .30-30 in Africa..

|Years back when they first came out, I bought a Win. M94 Trapper in .45 Colt.
I had just found and read an article by Ross Seyfried about loading .45 Colt to .44 mag pressures. He had the help of Hornady's pressure equipment.
What it amounted to was 25.0gr. of W296 with a 300gr. bullet.
Ross was working with handguns while I was primarily interested in the rifle.
The rear of the chamber was scooped out like a 1911 Colt for a feed ramp, so this was the weak spot on this particular rifle. Ross noted Fed brass was the strongest, but I found RP to be considerably stronger yet, so that's what I used.

With sized down .300gr. Hp's (I hollow pointed one cavity in my RCBS mould), lubed in a .459" Lyman die then sized them down in a .452" Lyman or RCBS die in an RCBS Lubsizer.

Worked up to the 25.0gr. and they chronographed 1,584fps, which matched exactly, what the BP .45/90 Winchester gave out of the model 95 single shot.

I shot 2 elk with that load, worked a charm.

After that, I went heavier and with different powder, developed to the same case expansion I got with the .44 mag. pressure loads and in only the RP brass. They NEVER gave a pregnant appearance, however the Fed brass did, as well as the much weaker Win. brass.
Those loads, with Winchester 630 powder, drove 340gr. bullets to 1,774fps, matching I think, the .450 #2. buddy of mine wanted it for his wife, so I sold it to him, cheap, as always.
All THAT from a .45 Colt in a 16" bl. Go figure.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com