Ripp
(.577 member)
03/02/19 05:26 AM
Re: How to build an all purpose rifle

Quote:

Only on a couple of animals Ripp & they killed a little better than the TSX but nearly ever decent bullet kills well in the 06, need a bigger sample !

I haven't used the 280AI but thought it would be great in a Super Light Mountain rifle, near 7mm Mag performance & low recoil (seem to feel it now), would be no better than the 300RUM just recoil would be less, only a Big 338 is better than a big .30, the RUM with the Great A-Frames is a awesome round, so are .300Win & Weatherby I have used them & seen them used by my hunters a lot, I shot Brown, Grizzly (Inland Brown) & lots of Black Bears with the .300Win & 200gr NP but feel the 06 would have done the same with a lighter rifle & more rounds in the mag !

Could even get factory loaded Hornady Light Mag doing 2900fps, not that I really used it much, but shows what can be done with the 06 case, even factory loaded !

If I had the opportunities of Ripp to hunt that expensive Exotic/MT Game I would have a big .300 or .338 to (I mean we aren't eating them or at least shooting for meat) I think a light weight .338 & use it all the time so I know the rifle when that $30,000 to $85,000 Ram/Billy came into view !

MY 280AI is a "lightweight" made b Lex Webernick.. of RIFLES INC.
http://www.riflesinc.com/

All in with scope is less than 6 1/2 lbs.. great to carry, very accurate and recoil is insignificant.. and yes, the 280AI is basically a 7mmRem.. 3150fps with 140 Accubonds.which I use on sheep/goats..

If I were to go on a mtn hunt where I knew in all likelihood the shots will be long, I plan to take the 28 Nosler.. shoots the 175 A-Frames well for closer heavy game (moose, elk., bears,) and also shoots the Hornady ELD-X's well also..

Rifle is built on a Defiance action, Proof barrel, Chistenson Arms Carbon Fiber stock.. under 8lbs..very accurate, moderate recoil, and shoots very flat with HIGH BC bullets.. actually the reason I had it built..

My first Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan, I took my 300RUM loaded with 180 Scirocco's ... was very deadly at slightly over 400 yards.. blew pieces of his heart out onto the snow .. great in wind and long shots..but prefer NOT to drag a 9lb rifle around if I have other options..have used the 280AI for everyting since..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com