9.3x57
(.450 member)
03/02/19 12:41 AM
Re: .30-30 in Africa..

Nitro, I think you summed it up well.

Regarding the following...

Quote:

Lever actions were seen in Africa, in the hands of Roosevelt, the Johnson's and probably other Americans. Mentioned in the fictional book(s) "King Solomon's Mines". Probably a good fast shooting, "large" capacity magazine choice for short range shooting when unruly savages and cannibals were a problem... the assault rifle of the day!

When I was in South Africa in 88 and 89 I know the regular Marlin 336 CS model was discussed locally and somewhat in demand, tho I don't think many made it over there. Some did and I saw them for sale. The advantages of the type were that one didn't need a special license for it like one did for semiauto's and if a guy wasn't in the Citizen Force but wanted a handy and relatively light and handy rifle for self protection such a rifle then as always made a pretty good idea.

Sliding off-topic, here...in truth, a .44 Magnum levergun has all of those qualities for short range and more bullets to-boot, now as in the late 19th century when a variety of tube mag-fed lever and pump .38-40's and .44-40's were common as dirt and then as now the ammo for the longarm was right at home in the side-arm, too. The .38-40 was the "10 mm" of its day as it still is today!

This not to mention some of the smaller calibers in levershuckers.

Let's remember Bell, when trekking and not actually hunting, often carried Bom-Bom, his little Mauser 96 in 9mm Export caliber. Very smart guy that Bell. And he'd have been as or even better equipped with a handy "high capacity" tube-fed levergun as well.

Heck, isn't it the case that Winchester M92 .44-40's were once upon a time popular in Oz???

Truth is, the pistol-cartridge levergun is a tremendously handy weapon and maybe the most naturally-pointing of all guns ever made?

And if it's a Winchester 94 ParatrooperŪ Model, it's even handier than that!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com