Postman
(.375 member)
02/02/19 02:59 PM
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering?

Quote:

I owned an R 93 a few years ago, thinking like most that it would an indestructible piece of hunting equipment for rough conditions where I didn't want to take any " decent vintage" items.
Mine , a 7X64 backed out primers from day one. Took it to Africa ( along with a vintage WR 500NiTRO), came up on a Wharthog, closed the bolt and it went " click"
I waiting wondering if I had a hang fire, and finally with baited breath opened the action. There was a very slight indentation on the primer .
Took it back to camp, threw it in the tent , and picked up my 100 year rifle.....problem solved.
Rang the agent upon return home. They informed me I didnt have the action closed properly!!!
I do admit there is a very small amount of " feel" as the action locked, however it was closed sufficently to let the firing pin fall, at least some way.
Following week had a phone from A senior manager at Blaser who kindly offered me a full refund....I took it.
It was and is IMHO a piece of shite.
Whatever pocessed me to use anything other that a conventional turnbolt action, I cant say. I can only say that I too was taken in by all the BS that is written about them. Lesson learned.
To be fair the later model may be different , but I never want to find out, but no doubt the R93 had serious issues.

As for taking one to Africa......never again any engineers rifles for me..

That’s precisely the behavior exhibited by my (ex) R93..... Click and a small primer dent. sometimes click and no primer dent at all. To say that the bolt wasn’t properly closed would be a fantasy. I hammered it closed rather agressively on purpose to make sure it was closed, locked and good to go.... No joy..... I dumped that rifle pretty damned fast and will be very hesitant to try the latest newfangled technology.......

Contact Us NitroExpress.com