Rod4861
(.300 member)
02/02/19 12:40 PM
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering?

I dare say that a modern M98 and a Blaser R8 are both manufactured using similar CNC machines, modern metals and construction methods. No doubt both are marketed to the same high standard. They are also both marketed at and sell for quiet substantial amounts. Are they worth that money? Well I think so!

Which is better? Well that's a personal choice...me I love both. I have hunted with a R8 a bit within the last 5 years. I love it! It's reliable and functional. I also own a couple of new Rigby's but to date I've not hunted with neither. I have hunted a substancial amount with older manufactured 98's and similar like the Brno 602's The hunts of done of late were better suited for the Blaser.

As to the comment about not seeing Alaskan guides carrying them...well I'm not surprised that they don't. All the Alaskan guides that I have met and or hunted with carry good old USA manufactured stuff. Marlin, Winchester, Remington, Dakota and of course the exception to the rule is the good on CZ550. They also have a preference for Leupold scopes... I dare say that if Blaser were made in the USA and were as cheap as US manufactured arms then it would be a different story. I haven't seen too many guides carrying Sako's or Sauers either.

Blaser's make a great product. I don't know if Blaser will still be manufacturing R8's in 100 years from now...it will probably be hard to equal the longevity of the Mauser 98. But I reckon Blasers are soo good that we'll be buying and using them well past my life time.

If you don't like Blasers..buy something you do like. Life is too short to waste talking about things you don't like or appreciate !

Cheers
Rod

Contact Us NitroExpress.com