Ripp
(.577 member)
01/02/19 01:56 PM
Re: How to build an all purpose rifle

Quote:

Lots of people (me earlier in life) can only afford one Hi Power rifle & scope, I still think the 30/06 is the one (308Win is still good) I just head shot any thing I wanted to eat, it did the trick

In the end I used 220gr Semi Spitzer NP on ever thing (Fallow to Samber), good to 300yds but most of my shots were under 150yds sort of mixed up now days with 50+ rifles, still grab the 30/06 most times as I'm playing too much with the 338/06 & 9.3X62 & never have the right load sighted or worked out !

Been using the Hornady Superperformance GMX 150gr at 3080fps & the GMX 165gr at 2940fps as I ended up with a few boxes from a hunter, I like it more than the Barnes X but need to test more yet !

Have you used the Hornady's on game yet?? Just curious..also curious how the new Hornady ELD is working on game--I have heard generally good reports to this point..but have heard a lot of good reports about Bergers also ,which I wouldn't use for hunting if they were given to me free..NOT what I consider a "hunting" bullet..

As you described above---that is all I had for a lot of years..I used .303 British military rifle..worked just fine..and was happy to have it..

For me, one caliber I have traveled a lot with for high elevation mountain game is the 280AI..up to this point, have never had to shoot any animal more than once..have used it from Europe, to Turkey with Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan in between..also used if for bear and big horn sheep in Montana..all one shot kills... but, who the hell am I kidding, would NEVER have just one rifle...

Honestly I have been chasing that premise for a long time..my latest that I plan to try on various types/species of game is a custom in 28 Nosler--really feel with the vast array of 7mm bullets available, can be used for most anything I will hunt with the exception of the Big 5..previously, my one caliber of choice was the 300RUM--loaded with 200gr A-Frames--has taken the greatest variety of game of any caliber/rifle combo I have owned.. 70+ head of game in Africa--including a couple of the Big 5.. dozens of elk, along with deer, pronghorn and bear..and frankly, when it comes time to putting meat in the freezer, still the one I normally grab..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com