9.3x57
(.450 member)
01/02/19 01:19 AM
Re: .30-30 in Africa..

RIPP, exactly!!!

BTW: Mine and my daughter's experience, of course only reflecting that of many, many others, with the 7.62x39 makes me convinced that the .30-30 would benefit by the use of modern 125 grain bullets and held to only side shots on deer AND held to about 100 yards range would be superior to the old slow 170's whichsupposedly go 2200 fps but in reality only approach 2000. 125's would run about the same speed as the Commie service round. We shot some decent sized deer and in fact, one of the largest we've ever shot was shot by my then-15 or so year old daughter and that being a frontal shot. And THAT bullet due to a long-story...a Wolf HP! Velocity matters on thin stuff and that monsters ran about 60 yards and piled up.

One of the things I appreciate about this forum is the Euro influence here with their experience with tracking dogs.

IMO a lot of those deer and even elk that are thought to have been missed or hit poorly have been actually hit right but so many folks simply are incapable of and worse, simply will not track game or even worse yet, don't care enough to, so a critter that runs 50 yards in the woods is lost. And some states in the US STILL bar use of blood tracking dogs.

Thanks to some folks on this forum I petitioned the Idaho Fish and Game Department some years ago and got that law changed. The .30-30 would benefit if every rifle came with a trained dog!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com