Postman
(.375 member)
30/01/19 02:26 PM
Re: .30-30 in Africa..

So I’m going to put forth an idea that is surely controversial:

“There have been more whitetail deer harvested with the .30-30 than any other rifle throughout history”
“And, there have been more whitetail shot and lost with a .30-30 than any other rifle throughout history.”

The eastern Canadian whitetails are pretty big and it seems that the thutty thutty just doesn’t seem to pack enough punch to reliably switch them off. I watched a good heated argument or two at a hunt camp I used to participate in where one of the guys was using a .30-06 and harvested every deer he ever shot at every season..... The others in the camp felt that the .30-06 destroyed too much meat and were adamant that he switch to a .30-30 like the rest of the camp...... That camp had numerous deer that got shot and were never recovered even after very long drawn out tracking exercises.

Me, I’m a bit undecided but I think shots should be kept sane and under 100 yards with the .30-30.... shot placement is really key with this mild round. I don’t see why an impala wouldn’t expire with a well placed fatal shot at reasonably short range. If it is something you’d like to try, I say “why not!!”?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com