Homer
(.416 member)
29/01/19 03:49 PM
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering?

G'Day Fella's,

Norsk, I have never owned a Blaser R3/R8 bolt gun myself but several mates/customers do, and they love them.

They did have some serious issues, when as you mentioned, the bolts came back into the faces, of sereral of their users.
From what I was told, these were all chambered in .300 Weatherby.
Also, I was told that when this occured, apparently Blaser bought the name and manufacturing rights, etc, for Mauser.
Apparently, this was just as an emergency "Plan B", in case the Blaser R93, turned out to be a dud?
Some time after the above occured, the Blaser R8 appeared on the scene .............

I have heard of the Blaser's being referred to, as "Yuppy Guns" but maybe, only by people that could never afford one?
I have never seen R93/R8 that won't shoot, and by this I meen, finger nail size 5 x shot groups with factory ammo (@ 100 M/Yards)!

Apparently, they also had some issues, when used in area's with high dust levels.
Apparently, if the rifle action and barrel extension was not cleaned regularly (maybe daily?), there could be "A Failure to Funtion" issue.
Not good if, your after dangerous game ...........
Also, this dust aspect, may have been the reason that the Blaser, Tac 2 sniper rifles, seems to have died a natural death with the Military Special Forces?

One of my above mates, gave up taking anything but his Blasers on international hunting trips.
Just for the convienience of taking down the rifle, and packing it in with his clothes, in his suit case/check in luggage.

I do have one issue, with the Christensen Arms Carbon Fibre version, of the Blaser.
The transition of the sporting pistol grip, into the rear action area of this one piece stock, was exceedingly unpleasant to hang onto and made a lump of rough sawn 4" x 2" (or 2" x 4", in the US), feel ergonomic by comparison.

Norsk, whilst I would not hesitate in purchasing a Blaser R8 myself, I'm too old and set in my ways, using 90* Turn Bolt rifle's, to change now.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com