Ripp
(.577 member)
21/12/18 01:04 AM
Re: weatherby

Quote:

I think Roy Weatherby was catering for a certain market, like people who wanted the most and didn't really care about the cost etc, like buying a Pontiac Trans Am ,Corvette etc ,back then when it was ''in'' and fashionable to go on an African Safari, a lot of people who weren't really hunters perse, wanted to jump on the band wagon, and hence for that reason I suppose, a lot of hunters thought they were for wankers and show offs . A bit like today where people who were never into bikes suddenly want a Harley[and then fall off] or who were never mountain climbers, want to climb Mt Everest[and fall off] .I have always liked the German ones,which I think were the best . I suppose they have lost some of their appeal being more affordable ,like Harley making cheaper bikes ,not such a big deal anymore and novelty having worn off .I don't think there is any point looking for more powerful rounds that the Weatherby Magnums ,I think that's the practical peak for magnums.

Agree, it was in vogue back in the 60's --70's, to be an adventurist, hunter, etc...look at all the Hollywood types having their pic taken with Roy holding a Weatherby rifle.. he was truly a genius in marketing.. and yes, they are very fast powerful cartridges.. for me, I like the design of the RUM's vs the Weatherby's... no belt (as Daryl constantly states ) ---have had zero issues , barrels durability have been a none issue..replaced one on my 300RUM last year..that per the bore scope really didn't need to be--but I wanted it to be a bit lighter so put a fluted barrel on .. think as long as one uses them in a prudent manner, barrels on most of these will last my lifetime as well as my son's as far as a big game hunting rifle..and anything I pull the trigger on drops like they fell from the sky.. what's not to like.. They do have a bit of recoil, you just have to not be such a pussy and deal with it..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com