Ripp
(.577 member)
20/12/18 12:13 AM
Re: Is the .30/06 Still the Best All-Around Big-Game Round?

Quote:

so what would be the most popular in Africa? two catagories plains game then big game.

Have spent most of my trips in Zim...for plains game there, many were still using a 300W mag or something close to that..myself, I brought my 300RUM the first few trips..after that I carried the .375H&H as you NEVER know what you will run into while out and about..a soft point out of the .300 might not get the job done that is needed ..ie; tuskless ele or whatever..so, chose the .375 from that point on.. had 2 very close experiences, changed my mind after that.. while out walking, 375 or bigger--with solids in the magazine..

There is always the thought your PH will be there to back you up..yes and no..funny thing, their rifles are also made by man..as such, also subject to failure for an entire host of reasons.. sorry, but I prefer the ability to protect "me" and not base my life on someone else's abilities or equipment..

When hunting specifically for big game, I have always used one of my rifles in .416 Rem... really like that caliber--so far my go to for DG..

I always thought the '06 would make a perfect leopard caliber for picking one off of the bait tree..however in many country's the .375 is the min. caliber allowed for DG... so......

The 30-06 is, IMHO, one hell of a cartridge..and will do pretty much anything you ask of it and more..for Africa would be a great plains game cartridge..as shots are relatively short there..most 100 yards.. some at 200 ..rare to be 300 or more unless in the desert...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com