Ripp
(.577 member)
18/12/18 01:56 AM
Re: weatherby

Quote:

Quote:

Weatherby rifles cater for a certain taste. I have owned many over the years and enjoyed them. I no longer own any my tastes have changed. They are great guns warts and all.

Well said!!

Many feel that the flash of a Weatherby is a bit over the top, and many others are envious because the price point is a bit out of reach for the unwashed masses. I was sometimes a bit self conscious about that going to the hunt camp. An analogy: Many buy fast cars to “look” fast. Others buy them to “be” fast. The first group often are afraid of the recoil and can’t hit the side of a barn, but they look good doing it!!! I fall into the second camp and always saw the many merits of the Weatherbys, never mind what others felt about them. The Weatherbys should be weighed on technical mert. Nothing less and nothing more.

Agree for the most part..have owned close to 10 ..now own 1..synthetic lightweight model chambered in 240 Weatherby that my wife uses..I own 2 rifles chambered in .257Weaterby,built on Rem stainless actions, Hart barrels, McMillan and HS stocks.. jewell triggers..shoot 1/4" groups all day long..NO Weatherby I have ever ownEd was what I would call a shooter..

Have a friend who was a Weatherby dealer for 50+ years..several years ago, maybe 15 or so, whenever they started coming out with the lightweight versions, he let me try to find a shooter out of his new inventory..I tried 5..none were a "shooter"..most would not make the 1 1/2 guarantee with factory ammo..so, I built 2 on Rem actions..they are shooters..also the workmanship back then sucked..not sure what it is today as I am not interested in them so have not taken the time to look.

Was a day when Weatherby was a bit of a status symbol..not so anymore..You can now pick up a Vanguard for less than $700..so there goes the status symbol if you are into that kind of thing..

As stated in this blog, you can get a rifle from almost any manufacturer that will shoot as good or better for considerably less money.. plus there are many mainstream rifles now that are the same price or more expensive than the Weatherby, only difference is, they actually shoot..

The 9 lug action in my experience is an issue--you have to get 9 lugs to lock up ..the ones I had checked never had all 9 locked up together..in fact the last one I checked had 2 1/2 that were locking together..the others were in never, never land..

Another reason they drew a lot of neg. publicity is when they come out initially with the high velocity calibers, bullets were not holding up to those velocities.. I have never talked to a PH in Africa that liked a Weatherby..usually the answer is they are too fast and too much recoil..ie; clients cant shoot them and bullets are not holding up..think that problem is fixed with Swift and Barnes bullets as to bullets holding up..

Have never had an issue with the stock design, actually fit me well..and felt good shooting them..but yes, as stated, they did crack a lot from recoil...

Of all the Weatherby calibers, my personal favorits are .257, 240 and 300...but, many other cartridges offer similar or better ballistics in a better rifle and better case design..with the possible exception of the .257..not aware of any commercially loaded that are faster in the quarter bore arena..

THEY need to revamp their product..maybe moving their factory from Kalifornia to Wyoming, they will take the opportunity to retool and take advantage of the move..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com