Ripp
(.577 member)
27/11/18 12:47 AM
Re: Can- the 264-Winchester-mag -rise-from-dead?? by Spoomer

Quote:

Ripp I've been gathering scraps. There was an orphaned 7.7 twist barrel, a nice light sporting stock project that someone abandoned years ago, and I had a Model 70 action that needed help.

With a new lathe in my shop I used this as an opportunity to work the bugs out of the new machine installation. Made mandrels for the bolt and action on the way to truing the action, profiled the barrel to fit the existing channel in the wood while setting on 26" length.

More work to do still, but I've shot it a bit along the way.
Seems like it will be good with long bullets and my stockpile of US869 powder. I'm thinking sub-atomic loads with the heavy bullets and it'll be a hammer that lasts.

I have been fiddling with Alkanet Root in boiled linseed oil for the stock.
It's going to look good!

Wow--sounds like quite a fun little project you have going on...please post pics when this project gets completed, would really like to see it..

Agree with the heavy bullets..think that is the ticket, that, and NOT taking it varmint hunting..
read an article recently stating that many were taking out the .264 to use on P-dogs..ruining the barrels..whatever..as I have always said, they still make barrels the last I checked.. under normal hunting conditions the barrel on a .264 Win Mag will last your lifetime and part of your children's lifetime as well..

---

Contact Us NitroExpress.com