400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
27/05/05 02:50 PM
Re: .318 Westley Richards vs .338/06

Nitro X:

I don't think it would work with Barnes X or other monos, and you might need a really beefy press for some of the partition types. I've never reduced a bullet that much and don't know how well it would work.

I swage down 9.3 bullets .003" for use in one of my doubles. These bullets work perfectly. RWS, Woodleighs, Hawks, Speers, etc. go through very easily. Even though .003" isn't much, Swift A-Frames are impossible in my press. Never tried a mono, as I'm loading for a double and don't use them in it, but I would think they would be as bad or worse.

Boddington said he did this in two steps, which I would think would make it easy. If you have a garden variety 7/8" reloading press (mine is an RCBS "C" type, I can't remember the model name) all you need is the reducing dies. I got mine from Corbin Manufacturing in White City, Oregon, about $90US IIRC. This is for one die, of course, and I presume you'll need two. The die screws into the usual place and the bullet punch goes where the shell holder usually is. I use ordinary case lube. Simple, fast, no aggravation.
----------------------------------------------

Contact Us NitroExpress.com