szihn
(.400 member)
21/10/18 02:48 PM
Re: Caliber's choice for hunting

Posting one more thought here.

I could get by with a 22 LR and a 375H&H if ammo was unlimited, but that would not be NEAR as much fun.

As I have gotten older I have paired down most of the guns I have owned in my life, but I kept only a few of them because of caliber. One 22 LR, one 270 and one 375H&H, as well as a double barreled shotgun.
The rest that I kept, I kept because of what that particular gun was, not because of that gun's ballistics.
I have some that are none too impressive ballisticly, but they work well and I LIKE the gun, so I keep it and i hunt and shoot with them for the fun of it. As an example I just killed a buck antelope with a 1903 Mannlicher in 6.5X54. 160 grain round nose at 2200 FPS. I also just killed a buck deer with a 303 British I just made for myself in the style of a Lee Speed. 180 grain bullet at 2380 FPS. Again, it worked just fine.
And I go out and kill game from time to time with my flintlocks, one in 50 cal and one in 62 cal. That's a set of guns that are very "un-modern" but I LIKE them.

The only 300 mag that I have left is an H&H, the oldest one.
My only 8MM is an 8x57.
I own two 9.3X57s and I really like my Ruger #1 in 9.3X74R. I also like the 9.3X62

Many today will say that such old shells are passe and for them, maybe they are.
But that's not the point to me. Fun is the point. I hunt with archery tackle sometime too, and I use a bamboo longbow and wood arrows with turkey feathers. It's not "as good" as a modern compound, and that is THE REASON I like it.

I just like guns, and I like them 365 days a year, not just when I am hunting.

LOTS of 30-06s are modern and have Kevlar stocks with super-scopes, are made form stainless and are very accurate, but not a one of them is as enjoyable to me as my 1943 M1 Garand. Is the M-1 "better"? No.

But the best way to get meat is too easy and not near as fun.

So I like my old shells and the guns I still have. I do have a few that are resent inventions, and I like them a lot too,(like my ARs in 223 and in 6.8SPC) but mostly I like the older ones.

So having 1 rifle to cover every base is something of notable merit, but merit of a guns versatility is not and has never been the point to me.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com