Ripp
(.577 member)
18/08/18 12:27 AM
Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof

Quote:

Wow, very nice piece of kit. Now you have me second guessing my choices.

I went a slightly different rout with the Nosler cartridges.

Being built for me at the moment is a 26 Nosler on a SS Ruger #1 action, MPI fiberglass stock, barrel band sling swivel, NECGs master piece open sights, 28 inch SS Shillen match barrel. Built to shoot 100gr Barnes X Tipped at 3800+ fps.

I’m thinking it will be a fine spcialized bushbuck harvesting rig. Your has way more versatility and practicality though.

Congrats.

I actually have a FIERCE rifle also in 26 Nosler..

http://fiercearms.com/products/rifle-models/carbon-edge

Have used it to this point on pronghorn..130 GR Berger VLD's..personally I feel that bullet sucks..will never us a Berger for hunting ever again, period.. Each to their own..

26 Nosler is a hot rod..I do like the caliber..and it's NOT as much of a barrel burner as others claim it to be -just have to be smart and not blast a bunch of rounds in succession....that crazy albeit uncommon thing called common sense..

As to the versatility of the 28 Nosler, yes that is why I choose it...plan to use the heavy for caliber bullets to reduce the velocity some and shoot high BC bullets.. flat enough where I can shoot as far as I ever care to shoot..personally feel, and have been told the 3000 to 3150 is ideal with a high BC bullet or longer range shooting...while the A-Frame is NOT a high BC, at 175gr its almost .500..think .493BC...which is all I will ever need out to 6-700 yards if needed..but 99% of my shots are 400 yards or less ..usually much less..depends on the hunt, terrain and what I feel like doing at the time.. If I want a higher bc can try the Hornady's they are bragging about...however still have my doubts on how it would hold up under higher velocity and elk sized game.?? Could also use the 150GR Swift Scirroco, which is what I would probably do.. high BC and holds together very will in my experience out of the 300RUM.

I found out years ago Nosler's Accubond is NOT a high velocity bullet, despite that Nolser claims..it did not hold up out of my 300RUM shooting the 180's ..which has a mv of 3370...very poor penetration at closer ranges..200 yards and less..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com