Postman
(.375 member)
17/08/18 11:41 PM
Re: Behind the bullet----.257-Weatherby Magnum

The .257 Bee is a wonderful overbore cartridge. It’s a pity that Weatherby rifles are generally not so accurate. The Accumark is the exception with a free float Krieger button rifled barrel - maybe not a true match grade barrel like a cut rifled and hand lapped barrel, but a good barrel none the less.

I have a .257 Ultramark with incredibly pretty wood. It shoots ok but I wouldn't dare call it a tack driver. As an experiment I got an Accumak stock and swapped out the Ultramark fancy pimp wood in order to do a quick free float to see if the .257 would shoot better when free floated. Much to my suprise, th gun went from ho hum accuracy to absolutely abysmal!!!!!

I’ve never before seen a situation where forend pressure actually was required to make a rifle shoot with acceptable hunting accuracy. Original stock = 1.5 MOA; Free float = 6+ MOA.

I put the original wood stock back on the rifle and called it a day. It is again an absolutely beautiful rifle with ho hum accuracy by today’s standards. Give me a good Sako any day of the week if I want incredibly stellar accuracy and good build quality, all for a reasonable price.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com