Ripp
(.577 member)
10/08/18 10:26 PM
Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem.

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Ripp, it was a good read.

Being a serious .308Win fan, I consider the 7mm-08 (or as I refer to it, the "Lemon-08"), a bit of an upstart, and nothing more than a Varmint cartridge.

On the other hand, I do have a lot of time for the mighty 7x57 Mauser, and I consider the 7x57, the original .308Win ............... if you know what I mean.
To save you guessing and wondering what I'm referring to, with similar bullet weights, the 7x57 and the .308Win have very similar ballistics. It's just that the 7x57 (1892) was here, 60 years before the .308Win (aka the "T65", in 1952).

So whilst I doubt I would ever own a Lemon-08, I have owned and need another 7x57 chambered rifle.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

In this neck of the woods, the 7-08 is often used by youth or woman as a elk/deer rifle --I have seen numerous elk fall to this round..IMHO, very effective..but hey, that's just me..

Did NOT know the 7x57 dates back that far..but then, that kind of thing is not on the forefront for me..

I was just reading an article in SPORTSAFIELD earlier today about how many "local" elk hunters are choosing lighter calibers can combining them with todays better bullets with very good results..article was written by John Barsness..FYI

Have a good one

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com