Ripp
(.577 member)
12/07/18 02:11 AM
Re: Caliber's choice for hunting

Quote:

I doubt I'll ever leave the USA again, so my 3 would be a 22 LR, a 270 Winchester and a 375H&H.

If I were "blessed" and allowed to pick only 2 others, and the idea was to include all of the world in my hunting I'd add a 223 and my 404 Jeffery.

AND there you have it..as you suggest, it would really depend on where you are at or going hunting..

If I was hunting only in the lower 48 here in the US, 22 rimfire would have to be one..along with a .223 as the ammo is everywhere..and I like AR's..dealing with 2 or 4 legged, and then a .300 Win..again, ammo is everywhere and will take anything walking here

IF on a game farm in S Africa..a good 300 or .338Win could be find and all you would need for most...unless hunting buff or bigger, then a .416 is my choice.

However, IF, in the wilds of areas like Zim, my light rifle would be a .375H&H...you may be hunting small stuff, but the big stuff doesn't know that or really care...You can used hard bullets that do little to no damage to the hides on the little guys.. Swift A-Frames or Barnes X to name a couple..

I personally don't care for the.375H&H for buffalo or anything bigger..think the .416 is a much better round for those based on my experience..they work, just don't work as well..

For heavy would use still use one of my .416's or my .470 double..that combo has worked on 6 hunts in Africa with around 80 animals harvested, with no problems or issues-..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com