C_Davidson
(.224 member)
01/04/18 09:28 AM
Re: Choosing 7mm bullet

Thanks for the comments. I hope there will be more.

Here's what I'm thinking. The light little 7x57 I'm putting together is a dream rifle I've had in mind going back to when I was just a kid reading a whole lot of Jack O'conner. His comments about mild shooting cartridges resonated with me. He influenced my decision to put together a 257 Roberts as my first center fire rifle. The 7mm to my way of thinking ought to be a step up from 257 and give me a rifle I can use on just about anything in North America except the large bears. Moose and Elk and black bears would be the largest things to hunt with the 7mm. In the off chance I can swing an African hunt it should work OK on most antelope. Also, I will be going to West Texas to hunt auodad in unfenced haunts, true fair chase hunting. I'd like to use the 7mm for that.

I've been thinking a 160 grain bullet might be best to use on the larger game. Bullets of this weight may be heavier than needed for whitetails but the 160 certainly isn't the wrong weight to use. If I can develop one load using 160 bullets I'd be set to handle anything. The slightly lighter 154 grain bullets are a valid option. The immediate goal is just one load to do it all and to optimize it to work specifically in the new rifle.

I'm not limiting myself to 257 and 7mm, I have many other rifles. I just think it is high time to build the rifle I dreamed about back in the 1960s and to get some enjoyment out of it while i still can

Contact Us NitroExpress.com