NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/03/18 04:56 PM
Re: One Day WDM Bell went to London

Quote:

Quote:

In a 1954 postumous article in American Rifleman ("Big bores vs Small bores") Bell wrote that he used nothing but a .220 for deer stalking.

Our red deer must have got a lot tougher - to think that 100gn 243 is the min allowed by law. And reading the UK forums - 270win absolute minimum and 300 win mag preferred option.

A .224 high powered bullet of a fragile nature into the lungs of a deer will kill it quickly. Also of course a brain or spine shot.

Bell appears to have been an expert and cool marksman when hunting. Most hunters are not. What he did, others usually can not do.

I DO use my .222 on fallow deer a lot. But in my farm paddocks. Where if shot incorrectly they can't run away too far. For field hunting, ie real hunting, not shooting farm deer, I use a 6.5 or .30.

But NZ hunters often did and probably still do, use .22 centrefires for deer. I remember an article about a Kiwi flying over to Sydney to buy a .22 Hornet as his next wonderful red deer venison rifle.

Legal minimums are often decided upon because of dickheads using lesser calibres, and not the marksmen who can use them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com