NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
02/03/18 09:47 PM
Re: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser???

I've a cut back Mauser 96 from a M38 rifle in 6.5x55mm. Purchased it second hand with its stock already partly butchered. Mounts and a cheapie scope. Still with its mil trigger.

Like that or now with a cheapie synthetic stock, with the FMJ ammo once commonly available, I have several hundred rounds of it, it is extremely accurate. At 100m consistent one hole three shot groups.

This rifle is a bit of an extra for me. Actually acquired it as a loaner rifle for visiting hunter friends.

When I mentioned the "black monstrous tactical" stock for my Colombian M98, I was actually looking to convert this M38/M96 into one. They don't make their stocks for the M96 but said they might one day.

The 6.5x55 is actually marketed as a military sniper rifle by CZ. I'm not sure who's military uses it as a mil sniper rifle, but some may well do so.

Of course the other option would be a nice custom or semi custom sporter M96 rifle with a walnut stock. By chance I also have such a partly finished M96 stock for it already on the shelf. The stepped barrel is a bit off on a nice rifle. Not sure if I would want to have the steps turned off, and definitely not interested in a new barrel. On balance would much prefer to spend on a nice Mannlicher-Schoenauer than the Swedish Mauser mil rifle.

A new trigger should be done however.

Some have the cock on closing feature modified to cock on opening. Not interested in that. Its not longer a M96 then.

On the ballistics, I thought the 6.5x55 exceeded the 6.5 Creedmoor in velocity?

I'll be keeping my M96 6.5x55.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com