Ripp
(.577 member)
25/02/18 01:20 AM
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :)

Quote:

Quote:

Personally enjoy both the new calibers as well as the older ones..have never understood the mentality of when a new cartridge comes out it gets hammered by some who state it won't do anything better than what I currently have..fine, don't buy it..its as simple as that..pretty sure no one is forcing you...so why the attitude.???

Ripp

Hey Ripp:

Rather well stated indeed!!!! For me, I like to play around with new (to me) toys as it can sometimes get boring repeating the same recipes at the loading bench. One thing that does irritate me a little bit is having to go through the tedium of having to search for and finding yet another die set and sometimes a shell holder although I must say, mail order and the Internet has made this an easier process...... I’m drowning in die sets!!!!!!

What I have found is that most cartridges are pretty similar and the finer nuances between them are often not terribly relevant in the field. There are two key categories to my mind: “big, fat and slow” or “small, skinny and fast”...... Then within those categories, one might look at horsepower and adjust for different game types and distances to be shot......

I do really believe over all else, that one should be able to choose and to play to one’s hearts content..... live and let live and be happy to have choices!!

One additional thought: Thankfully we have companies like Hornady that are willing to mess with new ideas to bring to the market and to take the commercial risk and cost of doing things that others may not. I for one am very appreciative of Hornady stepping in to the big bore arena in a big way, thus resulting in much more accessible and significantly less costly brass for the old time Nitro Express cartridges than what we may have seen even a few years ago.

Thank you and agree with your comments...

AND feel you pain as to "drowning in die sets"... Even that, to me, is interesting.. messing with various calibers, reloading..tweaking this or that, one always learns a little tidbit that can be tried or used on the others as well...really enjoy that...

YES, Hornady has really stepped up with products in the last decade or more..Steve has a great love of hunting and has been hunting all over the world for along time. Steve had actually been hunting in the same camp I was in Zim back in 2008..in fact, he shot his lion about 60 yards from where I shot mine about 10 days before..small world..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com