DarylS
(.700 member)
13/02/18 04:18 AM
Re: Giving the coconut

Ovny - a 6.5x68S is a most remarkable stalker - with the ability to kill moose, deer & elk sized animals well past 300meters, as shown by my 'best' friend Keith.

One trip with me in the 70's, I spotted for him on a smallish bull Elk at a range of 250 yards, using his 6.5x68, the 129gr. Hornady bullet exiting the far side, after disintegrating both lungs. On another trip, a large dry cow moose was shot at just over 300. The cow was facing away from us and the 120gr. Barnes X bullet, started at 3,420fps, entering just beside the white spot, traveled the full length of the animal, stopping against the hide on the lower neck. The moose braced her feet at the shot and refused to take a step, wobbled a bit, then the knees buckled and she collapsed onto her legs, dead.

He likes to use good, premium bullets, driven to the maximum safe pressure for his rifles. He dearly loves this ctg. Nosler Partitions have also worked well for him. He recommends a 9" twist barrel for shooting the heavier 6.5mm bullets, like the good 139 and 140gr. versions. The 'standard' 12" twist will not allow shooting the heavier premium bullets which make this ctg. suitable for large game, when the need arises.

The 6.5x68S and 8x68S are two rifles he has always had since I met him in 1979 - that's 39 years that I know him using those two ctgs.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com