DarylS
(.700 member)
23/01/18 08:30 AM
Re: Behind the bullet----.257-Weatherby Magnum

Roy Weatherby claimed to have killed a Cape Buffalo with a single shot of his .257 WTBY, by merely making a glancing blow to the buff's hip. The picture of this kill, was used in his adds for years - I saw a blown up add and studied it, back in 1975. The camera was a good one, for detail. The (WTBY) should have "re-touched" the photo.

I'm not sure who the PH was in the picture with Roy, but the PH's SXS .470, along with Roy's .257 MK5(I think) were in the picture, with Roy pointing at the splash wound on the buff's rear leg. The bullet blew up on the surface. He claimed " the .257 WTBY's incredible hydrostatic shock killed this buffalo".

Evident in the picture, below where the PH was standing, were 2 holes in the hide of the front leg/shoulder, obviously from the .470 with a trickle of blood coming out of one of the holes - the rear-most hole, iirc. There was perhaps 1 to 1 1/2" of hide between the holes. They were obvious and just left of the rifle's muzzle, when leaning up against the buff.

That kind of soured me on WTBY and is rifles.

BTW - John Buhmiller was the originator of what became the .460 WTBY. Roy was in John's shop and took one of John's cases that he had made up for the wildcat .458 he was working on. Lester H. Hawkes, close friend and mentor to me in those days, was in John's shop that particular day. Les related this story to me back in 1976, in Smithers.

I hate to be a spoil-sport, but that is my 'history' with wtby.

I, ahh, do own a Vangard today, in .243 Win. They also had it in .257, but I chose the 6mm instead.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com