NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/12/17 09:30 PM
Re: Why-I-hate-the- 270 -- by Bryce M. Towsley

Quote:

Funny about the "I hate the X cartridge" articles and also the sort of logic in them, and also by many shooters.

One of our members LOVES the .270 and has used it on almost everything. When he hunted lion he wanted to use his .270 but the PH would let him, so he had to use his .375 H&H. This was that super light Blaser I have mentioned shooting before, 6.25 lbs including ammo and scope. He wounded the lion. The black Zim PH refused to follow it up into thick bush, so my mate went in alone, fired a couple doaen shots at anything that moved and finally got the lion. The black PH was sitting in the car waiting ... "Orion" says it would have been a one shot kill with his .270.

Orion says the 8x68S is a great killer of everything.

But hates the .338 Win Mag and says it is hopeless ...

And so it goes. People who either don't like the shooter, or see it used, or use it with crap ammo, bad shooting, bad bullets etc etc

To me it is logic. If the calibre is adequate, the bullet weight is right, the section density appropriate, the bullet construction is suitable, the velocity right, the rifle accurate and the shooter can shoot and does make a good shot ... all things being equal, ANY suitable calibre/cartridge will do it.

The 10.75x68 had a reputation for bad performance. Because of the bullet construction in the cartridges at the time.

Never really explained my point. Orion thought the 8x68S was great, hated the .338 Win Mag. Another member on here, doesn't have a high opinion of the 8x68S, may well like the .338 etc.

Really there isn't much of a difference. One has higher SD and a bit lighter bullets. The other a wider calibre. Velocities are all in the acceptable range. What might be different is the shooter, his aim, the projectiles he is using etc. No logical reason both won't perform similar to each other, if the aim is on, and the bullet used constructed for the purpose.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com