DarylS
(.700 member)
22/12/17 06:51 PM
Re: Why-I-hate-the- 270 -- by Bryce M. Towsley

A long time VERY good friend of mine and a medical Dr. now retired, has used the .270 off and on over 50 years that I know of. He's used nothing but the 150gr. Sierra BT, driven by too high pressure in his Belgium Browning at 3,020fps, and now in the new (15yrs old now) 26" bl. barrel I put on it, 3,040fps with 3gr. less IMR4831 powder than he used before. Now, he gets the velocity without hard bolt lift.

He did shot a Sako .375 for a number of years, back in the late 70's, early 80's but sold it and now prefers a .338 as his grizzly & sometimes moose rifle with the now discontinued 275gr. Speer. Bears, he finds drop more quickly with a 200gr. PP.

The Power Points by Winchester have seem to have been good bullets in a variety of calibres, from .243 through .375's.

He loves the way it dumps moose, but does not shoot them anywhere but in the ribs, or directly through the spine on close shots, just behind the head. He's an excellent shot and shows it every year.

I have never shared his love or strong accolades for the .270, but do acknowledge it will certainly do the job. Hell, I know I could do all of my future, moose, deer or bear hunting with nothing more than my .243 Vangard, with excellent bullets, of course - no Bergers, except maybe for wolves or 'big' crows on farm land.

I still don't like the .270, but, it's OK I guess.
lol

I have wanted a .280 for some time and preferably, a .280 AckIMP.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com