szihn
(.400 member)
16/12/17 06:31 AM
Re: Why-I-hate-the- 270 -- by Bryce M. Towsley

Ripp said;
"In the case of the .375H&H, do you feel that is more a product that most can't shoot a 375 because of recoil/fear ?? Curious as to your experience..."

I would second this.

The 375H&H is the cartridge I have shot more than any other rifle cartridge except the 270 Winchester, and I have nothing but good to say for it. (I am not counting the 7.62 NATO fired from machine guns I used in the Marine Corps and as a DOD Employee.)
I have four 270 rifles now and I have had 3 others in the past which I have sold. I have one made on a Mauser that is on it's 3rd barrel.
I also have a Mauser in 375H&H that is well into it's 2nd barrel.
I do know a bit about the effects of both the 270s and the 375s on game. No one can know it all, but I do some, and what I do know I know from experience, not reading a book or article.

I would have to guess that anyone that is having troubles with a 375H&H in the game fields is either using the wrong bullet for the job, or is not shooting very well, or both. In EVERY instance I have shot anything with a 375 the results were as good as I could have hoped for, and often better. I have had mine since I was 22 years old. I am now 61. Soon I will have 40 years of use with a 375H&H and I have yet to see anything wrong with it. Reading the hunting stories of a lot of men who went before me, I don't find I am alone in this thinking. In fact, I know a few men still living today, who have used the 375 extensively, and all agree with me that if you use the right bullets for the job, the 375 is a rifle that is good for about 95% of all the hunting you could want to use it for.

What I do know from a lot of experience is that a gut shot, or even a liver shot, from a very powerful rifle is not as effective as a center chest hit from a lesser rifle assuming both bullets hold together enough to exit the animal.

Bullet failures can turn perfect placements into hair raising stories and/or long tracking stories. And that has NOTHING to do with the diameter of a bullet.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com