szihn
(.400 member)
04/12/17 01:21 PM
Re: New rifle acquisition

93,94 and 95 Mauser can be a bit soft sometimes, but they are not always soft, and not weak as most "experts" seem to think.
I have seen plenty of them made into rifles in "modern" calibers like 22-250 and 308 Winchester. Some need to be case hardened or heath treated, and that can get a bit involved, but I have made several in my 50 years of gunsmithing in modern calibers and I have never had a single one set back or give way.

We read a lot of tripe on line and in magazines about the 91,93 94 95 and 96 Mausers having no 3rd "safety lug".
Ok----- if that's important please show me that 3rd lug on a Remington M700, or a Howa, or a Ruger M77 or a Savage 110, or about 95% of the modern bolt action.

Men, if a 93-96 Mauser has good steel (most do) and if the Heat treatment is done well, (Which is sometimes needed) they are about as strong as most modern bolt action. Not all, but most.
Why would they not be? If they have about the same amount of contact between the back of the lugs and the abutments of the action as a modern gun, and if the steel is up to snuff there is NO reason they would be weak.

And with the shorter magazine of the 91-95 Mausers it's not common for people to succumb to the idiocy of trying to make super magnums out of them anyway. These actions work well with the standard Mausers 6.5X57 6.5X55Swede, 7X57, 8X57, 9X57, and 9.3X57. They work just as well with the Mauser-based 257 Roberts, and 6MM Remington. They work very well in 22-250 and 250-3000 Savage as well as 300 Savage. In many cases they convert easily and well to 243 Win, 260 Rem, 7-08, 308win, 338 Fed and 358 Winchester. Note the lack of Super-Magnums? but also the lack of need for a super magnum in that list, which has shells that cover 98% of all hunting.

This post "grabbed me" because I am in the process of making a 300 Savage right now on a Belgian FN-95. I have converted it to cock on opening, fitted it with a Bold Trigger, welded on a nice sporter bolt handle, installed Redfield bases. When it's done it's going to be a very nice light weight fast handling hunting rifle. I am going to put on a 110" twist 30 cal barrel and turn it to a nice 1920s style contour.

I also have a 94 that I will case harden to make a nice 7X57 or 257 Roberts soon.

These are "riflemen's rifles" and not for the foolish. I make them and they are safe with any SAMMI spec load, but are not to be used by those that want to make "magnums" out of them. If you want a magnum you should buy a magnum. Of build a magnum. I have nothing against magnums and I own a few myself. Magnums are cool at times.

But most avid hunters see these small ring Mausers as "just right".

Fast handling, light weight, super reliable and very accurate, in calibers that cover the needs they purchase them to cover.
(if such a rifle is in your future plans, please feel free to PM me)

The short box small ring Mauser is an action that is often under-appreciated by the modern gun builder, but if you are old (like me) you'll remember those rifles made in the 20 and 30s as well as those made in the 50s & 60s on such actions by the old masters that were in the era of hand work and fitting. I do not choose the 93-96 Mausers for most of my custom builds. I choose the 98 for most. But that is not to say I have a thing bad to say about the earlier Mausers. I don't.

In fact, I would FAR rather build a nice custom rifle on a 94 or 95 Mauser then a Remington M700, or a Howa, or a Savage.
Sure, some of the new actions are longer and may be stronger (as if that matters in the calibers we are talking about here) but they are simply not as classy. If cutting-edge technology is the only goal, then I see the more modern actions as a good way to start, with an AR10 being one of those to look at real hard.

But for the old classic art-form of rifles the Mausers, Springfields, Mannlichers and Enfields are just "cooler".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com