Grenadier
(.375 member)
11/11/17 05:11 AM
Re: 308-win-vs-65-creedmoor- Which-is-better/?

Quote:

308-win-vs-65-creedmoor- Which-is-better/?

And that just begs the question, "Better for what?"

If the answer is rifle competition then the 6.5 Creedmoor has already demonstrated the edge and has already gained in use against the .308.

If the answer is military use in assault rifles the 6.5 Creedmoor would be head and shoulders above the 5.56. Likewise, the 7.62 would prove better than the 6.5 Creedmoor, especially considering rifles in either cartridge would weigh about the same. Remember, the standard military bullet is FMJ. Both cartridges would be about equal for short range sniper use against personnel. Long range you say? Well, at the distances any difference between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor would matter neither would be the choice. Thus, the move to .300 WM and larger cartridges in long range sniper weapons. Finally, the 6.5 Creedmoor would be inferior to 7.62x51 as a medium machine gun cartridge for several reasons.

If the answer is for hunting then it all depends on what you are hunting. I like to think in comparative terms. I would consider a 6.5 Creedmoor to be "more" in a hunting round then .25-06 but "less" in a hunting round then .270 Winchester. If both .25-06 and .270 are great deer hunting cartridges then it stands to reason that 6.5 Creedmoor must also be a great deer hunting cartridge. Similarly, I put it to you that if one considers the .270 is marginal for elk, moose, and plains game then one must also consider the 6.5 Creedmoor just as marginal, or even more marginal, than the .270 on those animals. One response to what I just said might be that a well placed shot from a 6.5 could kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex but we're better off using a little more common sense when choosing cartridges for the game we pursue. As for the .308, it's long been considered acceptable, as opposed to marginal, for elk sized game, even if one of the magnums would be a better choice. I might choose to carry a .308 for a caribou hunt in big bear country but I definitely would NOT choose a 6.5 Creedmoor for that hunt.

I intend to have a rifle built in 6.5 Creedmoor to use as my primary antelope and deer hunting rifle. Those are animals the cartridge is best suited for.

The debate reminds me of the many .30-06 vs .270 debates.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com