DarylS
(.700 member)
14/10/17 06:28 AM
Re: Top-5-lever-action-rifles-of-all-time???

One must/should be careful with die settings for ANY rifle, more so with rimless cartridges.

Creating excessive headspace is more common today than it used to be - seemingly with companies keeping and re-sharpening die cutting reamers past their useful life.

If sharpened (shortened) past their useful safe life, they make the FL die undersize in the neck and short & tight in the body, thus with lads setting the shell holder to touch the die's base (as used to be printed - ie: Lyman #44 and 45 loading manuals, the reloader pushed the shoulder back creating excessive headspace for their rifle.

Full length sizing does not mean pushing the shoulder back as that should not be necessary as the case will shrink approx. .001" after firing - this clearance is enough.

If a fired case will not re-chamber in THAT rifle, the chamber is either oval in shape, or the load was too hot for that rifle & brass, thus exceeding the elastic limits of the brass in that rifle. If it does not shrink back that thousandth's of an inch, proper limits have been exceeded. BR shooters are prone to doing this and needing to "bump" the shoulders of their cases, from time to time.

I have never had to do that, as neck sizing only works in all my rifles- yet some think MY loads are too hot & they may be, but - neck sizing is all I ever have to do.

Cartridges like the .35 Rem and .35 Whelen must be carefully sized. Failure to do carefully & properly adjust dies may produce excessive headspace, thus create weak primer strikes, case head separations. excessive headspace also produces backed out primers in low pressure rounds, for instance those producing less than about 45,000psi.

Excessive headspace may be a rifle problem or created through improperly adjusted dies.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com