Ripp
(.577 member)
01/09/17 01:38 AM
Re: 338 Win Mag

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. I know that the PP tip has been on the market for many years, I am also aware that the 338 WM cartridge is not the most suitable for hunting in Spain and that with a 30-06 would have been convenient armed. But I read that the 338WM is a great cartridge and I bought the rifle. By the way, how about the Remington 700? I rely more on passive ejector rifles because I did not find another rifle in my area at 338 WM. Thanks again.

Remington.

I own or have owned dozens of Remington 700's in my lifetime..probably still have at least a dozen or so in various calibers in my safe now.. the 416 Remington I have is a model 700 out of Remington's custom shop from the late 80's ..typically they shoot very well ...many of the custom rifle makers there in the USA use the Remington action and upgrade them ..truing the action, changing the trigger, etc.. from what I have read and have been told by gunsmiths I am friends with, the basic design of the Remington action lends itself to make for a accurate rifle..especially when the action is blue printed and other work done on them.. I have several that have had no work and shoot under 1" with factory ammo..have a select few that shoot half that as well, again with factory ammo..

You do NOT need a controlled round feed like those you would see in a Winchester or others for hunting wild boar..as I said, I have used my .416 in Africa hunting lion, cape buffalo, hippo, elephant, etc with no problems and it is NOT a controlled round feed.. I do have controlled round feed rifles, it just that I personally like the feel of the Remington better so that is what I use..

Personally feel Remingtons quality has slipped through the years however..but that is just my opinion..so, have not purchased a new Remington for several years now..if/when I buy a factory rifle have been buying Sako, Kimber, etc...

AS to caliber, think the .338 is a bit large for boar..but still should work great on them.. I would keep using it...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com