szihn
(.400 member)
28/08/17 01:50 AM
Re: Performance withthe 9.3X57 Mauser?

Ok, I will have this rifle scoped and ready to do load work with this week. When I find a good accurate load with the scope, I'll then remove it and zero the irons with that load. I'll then replace the scope.

I am going to make a sizing die from a 7/8X14 bolt, drilled and reamed to .366" and then drilled 3/4 through that hole to open it to .375". I'll make a punch like a shell holder to punch the bullets up through it from the bottom.

I want to take Speer 235 grain .375" bullets and size them to .366" and see how well they will work in the 9.3X57. Because the action is a 98 Mauser I can safely get them up to about 2500 FPS and I am thinking they may be a very good bullet for this rifle.

I don't know if it's true, but I am told the jackets on the .375" bullets are thicker than they are on their .366" 270 grain bullets. I hope so. Their 270 grain 9.3MM Bullet is super accurate, but an awful design for what it's marketed for. (Heavy and dangerous game) I have had them blow up and fail to get more then 1/3 of the way through a small white tail buck. I have killed about a dozen head of deer and antelope with them and they come apart every time even when the kills were good.

But years ago I did kill some ranch horses and also a few elk with the Speer 235 grain bullets from my 375H&H. They were a bit erratic, but slowing them down to 2500 from 2850 muzzle velocity after I size them to .366 may make them just what it needed. I expect the striking velocity of them on game will be between 2400 and 1700 FPS

Any of you guys have any thoughts on this ?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com