DarylS
(.700 member)
07/08/17 12:05 PM
Re: Perfect caliber/rifle for hunting high mtn game-sheep/ibex

Modern bullets & powders do help with trajectory & killing power, for certain.

In the '06 for instance, a 165gr. starting out at 2,900fps (4 different loads in Horn. manual) with a BC of .447, will do quite well enough over normal hunting ranges.

Friend of mine used a brand new pencil weight stainless laminated M700 with factory Federal 165gr. TSX, for his muley, whitetail, sheep and elk. The elk was the only long shot - 415 laser checked yards. The rest were all under 110yards. None needed more than the first shot. The elk went the furthest thou - a whole shaking 4 steps only and tipped over - dead. He'd been double lunged and the bullet exited, leaving a 1/2" exit hole. The other animals dropped in their tracks, DRT.

The fellow, Shad, had depressed with his new rifle's accuracy of 2 1/2" at 100 meters, with groups stringing as the barrel warmed up. He's a hard working busy contractor with no time for handloading - so he had to shoot factory ammo. I happened to be at the range on his first rifle test- he was not a happy shooter.

I re-bed his rifle for him as Remington had put in about 60pounds forend tip pressure (no wood under the front ring of the action). I had also suggested some ammo he could try as he wanted away from the 180's (Win.. PP's) he'd shot in his old Husky - desiring flatter shooting bullets. After the re-bed, he initially tested Fed 165gr. Fusions and they shot around 3/4" for him at 100 meters so he called me and we met up at the range the next day for further testing. He also picked up another box of Fusion 165's for practice and my suggested Federal 165gr.TSX for hunting. Both loads shot into the same poi at 100 meters.

The factory Feds with the 165TSX, listed just over 2,900fps, seems to me, went 3/8" for a pair of 3 shot groups for me, and he put 5 into 1 1/2" at 200 meters which is 218yards.

Just maybe, the old '06 isn't quite out of date ----- yet.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com