Homer
(.416 member)
05/08/17 08:54 AM
Re: Perfect caliber/rifle for hunting high mtn game-sheep/ibex

Quote:

"Szihn, don't be a spoil sport"

OK OK.......I'll be good.

Just as a side not, I have about 60 chamber reamers. The ones that have been re-sharpened enough to be worn out and need to be replace are only 22-250 (1 time) 308 Winchester (1 time) and 270 Winchester (3 times)
So I don't think many people hate the 270. As a custom gunsmith I can tell you that there is far more love then hate for that cartridge. In my many years of making guns the 270 has been the #1 cartridge requested for custom rifles.
Even is the non-custom market it's reveling to see the 270 being the #4 seller for reloading dies, (#1 223, #2 308 Win, #3 30-06) so I don't think "everyone" hates the 270.

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for posting this link Ripp.

Szihn I believe, sums it up pretty well, LOL!

The .270 is still a very capable cartridge, especially with today's great choice of hunting bullets.
It's biggest "problem" is that it has been around for 90ish years (and decking game very capably, for all this time), so it's not a newfangled magnum, AI'ed, whizz banger.
By the way, I have only ever owned one .270, and I rebarreled it to .338 Win Mag.

The way I look at it is, in general the cartridge is a more personal choice than the rifle itself.
So you go with the chambering you believe is appropriate for the one, or several hunting tasks you plan to use it for, then find a factory rifle chambered for it.

Personally, we have so many quality factory options in rifles today, and so many of these are made by Kimber.

Then we have the other option of a non-standard or Wildcat cartridge, and a custom assembled rifle. The options for this, are endless these days.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com