Ripp
(.577 member)
04/08/17 11:59 PM
Re: Perfect caliber/rifle for hunting high mtn game-sheep/ibex

Quote:

Interesting article, of course. It really shows off the 6.5's "stuff".

Don't know what the pressures were, but the little 57mm IMP chamber I played with some time ago, my daughter's .260 CLC (Carol's Little Ctg.)was a 6mm rem, or 7x57 necked to hold a 6.5 bullet, with the front end shape of a .260Rem. - short neck with the standard 20 degree shoulder.

The case held 60gr. of water, same as the 6.5x284, seems to me.

I was loading 52.0gr. RE#19 (not positive on that load) with a 120gr. Barnes XLC and getting 3,308fps, using 30gr. LESS powder than my M70A .264Win Mag and of course, a mere 50fps short of the magnum.

That is likely a good load for long range goat/sheep-like critters, too.

Agree, the 6.5/284 article certainly had its bias..BUT, those I have visited with who have much more experience than myself with this cartridge certainly sing its praises...talked to one of the marketing reps for HS Precision some time ago along with one of the instructors at GUNWERKS shooting facility..both could not say enough good about it.. As I stated, I have a Cooper in 6.5/284..have had for a few years now but have not used it much for hunting..

For all around I may already have all I ever need frankly..got a Lex Webernick, RIFLES INC lightweight model about 10 years ago..chambered in 280AI..very light..gun is around 5lbs..all in just a bit over 6 with scope and mounts..used it for the last 3 hunts out of the country on mtn game.(Ibex and Tur)...killed game like the hammer of Thor..shooting 140gr Nosler Accubonds..shots ranged from around 350 to 530 yards..all 3 were 1 shot kills..don't see where I can do any better ..used this same rifle on my Rocky Mountain Big Horn back in 2010..same effect..1 shot, done.

For elk sized game, especially if they are hyped up a bit, I prefer a .30 caliber rifle --whether its a 308W, 300 Winchester or 300RUM...the 30 cal bullet just smacks them hard...in my experience of seeing dozens of elk on the ground...again IMHO, similar to using a .375H&H vs .416 on cape buffalo.. noticeable difference on the initial shock of the hit..

Always find this a fun and interesting topic of discussion..and curious as to the thoughts of others..many many good ideas and calibers out there..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com