Rell
(.375 member)
04/08/17 11:25 PM
Re: Perfect caliber/rifle for hunting high mtn game-sheep/ibex

My one sheep is maybe the smallest full curl ram to ever come out of the Yukon, so I am not sure that my opinion has much merit.

I hunted with e resident friend, his tags, we took caribou, mountain goat and sheep. No grizzly but we saw females and young males almost every day. We used his 300 weatherby with 165gr nosler portions and a 3-9 Leupold. We also carried a Rem 870 marine with 000 buck, slugs and 6s.

The Mark V was really quite heavy and although I adore the caliber I would probably take my Hill Country Rifle Sako 85 in 7mm Rem mag loaded with 160gr Nolser partitions or Nosler Accubonds. It weights 7.25lbs with a 4.5-14x40 Leupold VX3. I have taken bushbuck wih it out to 530 meters and as close as 7 meters. It has accounted for a moose, 4 caribou, a couple dozen bushbucks, 3 kudu, 1 eland and maybe another couple dozen smaller plains game.

I love the mountains and did a lot of mountaineering and climbing when I lived in Alberta, but alas Africa has taken hold of me and it seems like I don't get into the high country enough anymore.

Intersting conversation and fun to think about and dream ....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com