500Nitro
(.450 member)
01/05/05 07:46 AM
Re: The ol' 300 H&H

dasMafia

"the 220s don't enjoy that same BC as a rule, and there does seem to be a measurable and
non-linear drop at 220 from a velocity standpoint."

The 220 gr bullets are not meant for long range shooting ala a Spitzer or Protected Point
- they are designed for heavier game closer in, that's why some have a Round Nose and therefore not a high BC.

JoeR

Therefore it was not a shoulder shot.

In regards to:-
"Another shot, 240 yds uphill to a full frontal Hartmann's stallion, animal took off and galloped straight
uphill over a quarter mile appearing to be uninjured. Animal collapsed on all fours as though sitting
down. When we dressed it, the bullet actually penetrated through and through the ventricles of the
heart with very little damage."
THE ABOVE IS A CLASSIC HEART SHOT, particulalry when the bullet hits when the heart is empty.
What did the bullet hit on the way in ?

Re "I'm going back to the Weldcores" The Woodleigh 200gr ARE Weldcores. In fact ALL Woodleighs
are Weldcores.

The 200gr Woodleigh PP's (and 180gn 300 Win Mag) ARE designed for the Higher Velocity 300 Mags
- the jackets have a tougher construction than the 150, 165 and 180gr 308 cal Woodleigh PP's.

You are starting out at 2850 fps or so which is not that fast for a 300H&H.
I would suggest you use the 180gr 308 cal Woodleigh PP's

Re "but my experience with the 300 H&H using 180 gr. Nosler Partitions on game in the US including
mule deer and elk suggests more damage and more instant kills with well placed shots than I found to be
the case in Namibia."

You are comparing a 180gn partition with a 200gr designed for higher vlocity. As suggested above, try the
180gns.

Shoot a lot more game and recover alot more projectiles before passing comment
on projectiles. IMHO, 2 Shots is not a comparison, especially when comparing 180 vs 200gns.

500 Nitro

Contact Us NitroExpress.com