eagle27
(.400 member)
17/07/17 07:11 PM
Re: Bolt ''handling'' Etiquette

Being left handed and not interested in using left handed bolt rifles I have to drop the rifle from the shoulder to load and totally agree with the logic advocated by the African hunters school.

I have shot a lot of animals in my lifetime and have never felt handicapped by being a left handed shooter. It is very true that dropping the rifle from the shoulder and taking a little more time to load while getting a clear view of the scene is better than just racking the bolt back and forward and firing almost like an auto. Most of us know just how successful auto users usually are on game, many have the mentality that while there is lead in the air there is hope.

Careful and considerate loading, aiming and shot release will always produce better results and in fact lead to a much higher percentage of one shot kills.

Very rare that a hunter is charged and if it is by one of the big cat family, the hunter is only going to get one shot away anyway so has to make that a telling one. A double may give him two shots but if he doesn't score with the first, chances are diminished with a second anyway unless the hunter has the balls to get low and shoot it off the end of his barrels.

As for charging large game, again a well aimed telling shot is going to be better than a barrage of ill timed and aimed shots if the hunter indeed has the time to take them.

Talking of cleanly dispatching charging cats, the video of Ronnie Kraus (I think that is his name from the sound track of the video)shows exactly how it should be done. One good clean shot from his bolt gun as he kneels right down on the ground and shoots it on the end of his barrel. He couldn't afford to miss like all his companions did as the furious male lion charged in. Ronnie certainly didn't start shooting early and try to rapidly reload on the shoulder.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com