xausa
(.400 member)
15/07/17 04:41 AM
Re: Bolt ''handling'' Etiquette

I was a competitive high power rifle shooter for over 50 years. Part of the course of fire is rapid fire, ten shots, standing to sitting in 60 seconds at 200 yards and ten shots, standing to prone in 70 seconds at 300 yards. Anything that simplifies cycling the bolt is a plus in such situations. I have used my forefinger and thumb to cycle the bolt for most of my competitive career. I also use it in the hunting field, where it is equally as effective. I once put four shots from my .505 into a running buffalo, three of which could be covered with a playing card. He went down so suddenly that his nose plowed up the ground.

Far less understandable for me are the bolt rifle shooters who take the rifle down from their shoulder after each shot and cycle the action holding the rifle at waist level. This is not only unnecessary, it is a waste of valuable time, since the rifle has to be mounted to the shoulder after each shot and the sights reacquired. This could prove fatal in a tight spot with dangerous game.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com