szihn
(.400 member)
01/07/17 03:05 AM
Re: Performance withthe 9.3X57 Mauser?

Hello again Rolf.

I also find the 270 gr Speer good only for paper and practice. I have killed 121 deer and antelope with it and so far I have not seen good performance with it and sometimes it was awful.

The one I read about and hear about is the Norma 232 grain and that's one I am quite interested in. Also the Fox 220 grain bullet may have a lot of merit in the 9.3X57, but so far I have no feed-back or reports about it at all. I am most interested in the 220-250 grain range for use in my 9.3X57 for use on all game animals but specifically large game animals from 400 pounds up to about 800 pounds. Elk and large bears.

Do you have any experience with the depth of penetration I can expect with either one of those bullets?
Both elk and grizzly bears have thick muscles and large strong bones, so I want to hear about your experience with these bullet (or reports from anyone you know that has experience)

In the USA we have the Nosler bonded 250 grain bullets also, and they may be excellent in the 9.3X57. I hope so, but before I go and buy 1000 bullets I want to know that i will not be disappointed.

When I got my 9.3X74R Ruger #1, I bought 600 (12 boxes) Speer 270 grain bullets, and I don't want to repeat that mistake. I still use them, but only for setting sights on custom rifles and for practice shooting. I have found their accuracy to be outstanding, but that's the only good thing I can say about them.

I find the 286 gr. Nosler partitions to be excellent in the Ruger for everything from small to large game and also in the 9.3X62, but I wonder how well these big bullets will work at the slower speed of the 9.3X57.

I am guessing the 9.3X57 may be better mated to a lighter bullet. I am still experimenting at this point in time.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com