NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/06/17 05:39 PM
Re: The search for an all round big game hunting rifle

Quote:

Interesting concept. But I think there is a lot to be said for using one medium to heavy bullet in a caliber and becoming completely familiar with its trajectory. The 375 h&h is a great example, pick a good bullet from 260 to 300 grains and go to work. Is there really that much to be gained by playing with a lighter, poorer sectional density bullet even at longer range? I don't think so, especially now with good rangefinders so available. That bigger bullet will get the job done at any sensible range and the shooter will be spared trying to remember trajectories for different bullets and fiddling with his sights every time he makes a bullet change.

True. At the moment I really only use two bullets in each rifle. Eg .375 300 gr Woodleigh RNSP and FMJ. For 400 gr .404 same.

Original bullet I set it up for and never played with any others.

As for the benefit at longer range, time and testing will tell.

Point of impact. I have had luck with some bullets where th impacts are consistent or workable together. Changing the reticle is a pain in the arse. But I also have the scopes in quality QD mounts, so swapping a scope is feasible.

In the end, yes going to say a 250 to 270 gr "long range" bullet and a 300 to 350 gr heavy bullet, may be th sweet spot for both purposes in .375. Rather than anything lighter.

And in .404, something in 300 to 350 grs, and 400 to 450 grs.

But will or may play with some lighter bullets to see how thy go. If I ever get onto ferals culling again like we had in the "old days" bullet cost becoms important, when shooting several hundred bullets off in a week. Great practice though. Big bores very sore on the shoulder so maybe the .308 as a reserve.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com