NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/06/17 11:12 PM
The search for an all round big game hunting rifle

Since seeing the latest 10.3mm rifle, cartridges and intended rifles, I have been intrigued by the concept.

A big game rifle using a wide range of bullet weights from a lighter weight for medium and plains game hunting, even at considerable range, to the heavier bullets for up to and including elephant.

To recap:

New RWS Big Bore Caliber: 10.3x68
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=296552&an=&page=0&vc=1

Quote:

A reduced case length of 68
mm serves as the basis for a balanced, very
well-mannered cartridge that offers a unique
palette of bullet weights between 11 and
26 grams (169 – 401 grains). Performance
levels vary between the .30-06 and the .416
Rem. Mag. with correspondingly comfortable
shooting qualities.

Now rather than have to buy a new rifle, or a new barrel for one of my rifles, why not apply the concept to one of my existing rifles.

The obvious choice is the recognised all round one world rifle and cartridge, the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. A Whitworth Mauser 98 is in my safe. I was considering a 9.3x62 barrel in the future but then decided why bother with it when a .375 can do everything and more, as a Mauser M03.

A second choice for me, is the .404 Jeffery. I have a Mauser M03 ready for this option.

Somethiing I have long desired was a .375 Flanged double rifle. For just this purpose. Except the use of different bullets and weights is a much greater problem than a bolt action or single shot due to regulation issues.

A .416 calibre rifle would be an obvious choice with probably a wide bullet weight range. But don't have one.

A minimum of .375 is the reality. As many jurisdictins ban the use of calibres below this size for dangerous game.

The idea is to have a single rifle, in a convenient travel package, so some sort of takedown. In a useful rifle. The cartridge, barrel, barrel twist, should be able to be used for long range plains and mountain huntng. Given the rifle may be far from ideal in terms of mountain hunting weight. Used for standard hunting, for deer, ferals and the like. So range of lighter, higher velocity, higher BC for weight bullets of suitable construction to reliably kill game of the size, given the large calibre and possibly velocity taken into account. But also be able to be used on the biggest, most dangerous beasts very reliably and effectively. Bull elephant being the upper standard.

Bullet weights vary for the .375 from 230/235 grs to 350 grs. So it is lacking any lighter bullets for smaller medium game. The 235 gr has always occupied this space, or up to 270 gr. The 300 to 350 grs make very versatile buffalo and elephant projctiles.

Bullet weight ramge for the .404 Jeffery/.423 vary between a light 257 gr Cutting Edge Raptor to the more standard lower weights of 300 to 350 grs. The upper range of 400gr to 450gr makes very effective buffalo and elephant bullets.

How effective is this concept?

Are the lightest bullets in a range of projectiles actually un-necessary? Is using the lightest bullet and somewhat higher velocity negated by a much lower Ballistic Coefficent? How does barrel twist affect the efficiency, accuracy usability of the bullet weight ranges?

Many things to consider.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com