szihn
(.400 member)
18/06/17 08:40 AM
Re: Performance withthe 9.3X57 Mauser?

That's exactly the kind of thing I saw over and over and over from the Speer 270 grain.
In fact that's not as bad as some shots I have made with it.
I am going to bonded bullets or Partitions but the PPU 285 grain may show promise too. I like the look of the 232 grain Norma Oryx bullets but getting them is not always easy. They come in at about $1 each by the time I pay the shipping. Not back breaking, but not as low as I'd like. I love shooting and I can't break the bank doing it. Doing a lot of shooting is what keeps the skill level up and the cost of bullets works against us in that way.
I am even thinking about throating one of the new 9.3s for cast bullets and just making my one. Using a gas-check and a bullet of about 280-290 grains I am sure I can get 2200 FPS from it and if the accuracy was good I believe that's all the bullet I'd ever need.
But throating a barrel for cast bullets and then having it not live up to your hopes is bad. because now it is messed up for jacketed. that much free-bore gains velocity but usually costs a lot in the accuracy department.

My dream is to have the 9.3X62 using a good 285-285 grain bullet ad the 9.3X57 using a 220 to 232 grain bullet, but I will accept any weight in either gun if the bullets do what i want them to do on game. Bullet holes are what kills. Not bullets and not brass shells or rifles.
Those are all just tools to make holes with. If I get a good diameter hole through and through, the retained weight and theoretical advantages of one bullet against another is mostly just banter for discussion. But a 1" to 2" hole clear through an animal, no mater if bone is hit or not, is the goal.

What put the 2" hole through and through is not that important, be it drill bit, center fire rifle, muzzleloader, spear, particle beam or whatever.

I do have a 3rd option I am working on, but I will not know if that going to work out for about another month or so. If it does I''ll be posting my results here for all to read.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com