Ripp
(.577 member)
19/05/17 04:30 AM
Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester

Quote:

I had heard of a rancher's son who used a .243 for EVERYTHING including trouble grizzlies. Years ago, he shot one that was tearing into a new-born calf in the calf pen beside the house. Gramma and the kids were in the front yard, bear not more than 50yards way. At the first shot, broadside the griz. grabbed the calf and shoot it hard, thinking the calf had hurt him. When he stood up, the second shot was centre of the chest, dropping him. That was the 4th grizzly-stock attack that spring, handled by the .243. Factory WW 100gr. I told him he'd have been better armed with an '06. He "didn't think so as the .243 is so easy to shoot".

WOW--that is a great story...

YES.. as much as I LOVE the magnums and really fast calibers..there is a happy medium as well..the .243 is just one of those..at least for me...perfect gun to teach a kid, new shooter, woman, what ever on a centerfire ..very mild recoil...

Have literally shot hundreds of rounds a day through one on a p-dog hunt..don't get tired or sore from recoil..AND with a 70gr Ballistic tip or Blitz King with Varget Powder...the flip factor is quite spectacular.. really flat shooting...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com