DarylS
(.700 member)
19/05/17 02:46 AM
Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester

I can see visual benefit, Art, as at a mere 100 meters, my Vanguard .243 'almost' lets me see the strike when shot off the Tri-pod bench-rest. At 200 or further it is easy to see the strikes.

I prefer to take the little Ruger hunting instead of the Vanguard due to the M77's superior handling characteristics.

I am running a m4200 6-24 mil dot side focus that's only 13" long, on the Vanguard - again, bit of an overkill - LOL.

One of the old trappers here used to use a Swift with 55gr. Speer SP's for dispatching trouble bears - blacks and grizzlies alike. Of course, no one knows if they were REALLY effective, except for his admission.

I had heard of a rancher's son who used a .243 for EVERYTHING including trouble grizzlies. Years ago, he shot one that was tearing into a new-born calf in the calf pen beside the house. Gramma and the kids were in the front yard, bear not more than 50yards way. At the first shot, broadside the griz. grabbed the calf and shoot it hard, thinking the calf had hurt him. When he stood up, the second shot was centre of the chest, dropping him. That was the 4th grizzly-stock attack that spring, handled by the .243. Factory WW 100gr. I told him he'd have been better armed with an '06. He "didn't think so as the .243 is so easy to shoot".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com